5 Tips on Buying Brooklyn Home Insurance
Brooklyn is somewhat unique among New York boroughs in that the neighborhoods have their own sense of community. You get to know your neighbors and the people who own shops and businesses near your home. It can feel as if you’re living in a utopia where nothing bad will ever happen.
Unfortunately, bad things do happen, even in Brooklyn. Fire, theft, natural disasters, and accidents are just some of the reasons you need homeowners insurance. We’ve listed some helpful tips to make buying Brooklyn homeowners insurance as easy as can be.
1) Understand the Risks Your Home Faces
Insurance is about protecting your home from the most likely risks it will face. While you may not feel compelled to shell out the extra for earthquake insurance coverage for your Brooklyn home, there are other types of coverage you really can’t afford to live without. With that in mind, make sure your coverage protects against the following at the very least:
- Wind damage
- Accidents and injuries (liability)
Take special note of the last major risk Brooklyn homeowners face. This is because flood coverage is not typically included in a basic homeowners insurance policy. Instead, you’ll need to add on a separate flood policy. This shouldn’t be put off or overlooked because Brooklyn has many high-risk flood zones, including Coney Island, Manhattan Beach, and Red Hook.
The more you understand that all of the above are real risks in Brooklyn, and most other communities of this size throughout the country, the better prepared you will be to find the right kind of Brooklyn home insurance to meet those needs.
2) Make Apples to Apples Price Comparisons
The general rule of thumb is to contact at least three different insurance companies to compare the costs of policies. It’s important, though, that the comparisons are made on a point by point basis. Using an independent insurance agent can help you ensure you are getting comparable quotes. A few extra tips to consider:
- Find out the company rating. Read reviews and make sure the company you’re considering has excellent customer service and great customer experiences.
- Make sure the company understands your unique needs. Working with a company that’s more local and knows the specific risks to your home’s location can help ensure you have complete coverage. A NYC insurance company will know what goes into buying Brooklyn homeowners insurance.
- Don’t forget to compare deductibles. An affordable monthly premium won’t help much if your deductible is out of your budget. Look for a happy medium.
There are wide differences between coverages and costs from one company (and even one policy within the same company) to the next. Make sure you’re comparing comparable policies before going with the lowest cost option that may be less coverage than your home requires.